Featured post

I'm afraid I have some very bad news for you

Receiving bad news is never easy. However, what to do when we get bad news can take almost super human effort as we process exactly what...

Tuesday 5 January 2016

Cancel Your New Years Resolutions!

With Michael Ballard 
your tour guide into the land of Resiliency

Hello and Happy New Years to you and yours.

I trust you had a wonderful holiday time.  n  
Yes? Lots of family, friends and festivities I bet. How very wonderful. 
No? Drats; to much darn drama? Well it does happen in the best of families. 

Well it's that time of year. Based on years of guilt, oh wait I mean tradition many tell us we are all supposed to set New Years goals and resolutions to better our lives. However, we know that does not work for most of us. So, as a reformed New Years resolution goal setter lets talk. Don't set those regular goals. Instead lets talk about setting some goals worth attaining, free to do and have the potential to offer very large payback for our health for ourselves and our families.

So as you settle back in to "everyday" living again post holiday's here are three things you do. Note I am being very bold I didn't say consider or try, I said do. Why? Well they are life altering.

The Ultimate Gifts
What am I talking about? Well I'm talking about the ultimate gifts we need to give ourselves that contribute to our mental, emotional and physical well being. I call them The BIG Three!

The Big Three
Sleep is the first one. Most of us don't get enough sleep and or a high quality sleep. There is a large price we pay if we don’t give ourselves a high quality nights sleep. Oh I know kids, work, neighbours, hobbies, cleaning, and so many other events can get in the way. However sleep helps restore us mentally, emotionally and physically.
So if you've not waking up feeling relaxed and well rested perhaps even energized after a night's sleep 6 out of 7 nights a week then it's time for a change. Note I said 6 out of 7. The goal is not perfection but excellence. So cut back on the TV and or coffee. Go to bed 90 minutes earlier, work in some exercise and stretching for a few minutes everyday. Walk the stairs, walk to the store or bike when weather permits. Also consider, use a little caution on what you eat or drink for your last meal, dessert and snacks pre bed if it can or does interrupt your sleep. Ask me about my love of hot and spicy Thai food and interrupted sleep when we meet.

Develop and deepen your inner calmness through working mediation into your everyday life. You can do it through walking, eating (Think Slow Food movement), exercising, you hobbies In fact just about anything that requires an even tempo. Slow that tempo down to under 72 beats a minute.  Add slow music it will help pull you down to a slower tempo.

Last and not least of the Big Three is Relaxation
My favourite way to relax is, well I fibbed I don’t have a favourite way to relax, I have several. I find that exercise helps, playing music, hiking, walking, baking, Epson salts bath with peppermint oil, reading and underwater swimming, dimmable lights and lit candles in the room. All help me lower my heart rate and breath a little deeper and slower.  So what do you do for 12 – 20 minutes at least once a day to slow down. It’s a very restorative and rejuvenating gift to give yourself. 

Lets wrap this up!
So I am quite certain like many of my clients I can hear you say But, But, BUT I don't have time for any of this. Well the BIG Three offer skills and mindsets with very large pay backs. The gifts of better health, concentration, focus, productivity, and happiness all wrapped up inside these three mindsets, behaviors and skills. Each helps build on the other.  They will help you feel restored, relaxed and renewed. Better yet they don’t cost any money. Give yourself the gift.  Oh and, your welcome. So until next time Imagine yourself with more Resiliency for Life!

About Michael Ballard
Michael specializes in helping people, families, organizations and community’s learn how to thrive with resiliency. Resilience is a process, a set of key assets, skills and beliefs that can change our lives. Resiliency can changes the quality of our journey and often the quality of the outcomes.


To contact Michael or to hire him for your next event:
Please allow him or his staff 48 – 72 hours 
to respond during the business week.

Michael's Online Training
https://www.udemy.com/u/michaelhballard/

You can find his online programming for purchase at:
http://www.resiliencyforlife.com/OnlineStore

Michael is an author, speaker, trainer, and consultant. He travels the world helping people learn how to add more resilience into their lives at home, work and community.
You can connect with him at:
Twitter: @ResilientMichae
Facebook: MichaelHBallard
About.Me: ResilientMichael
Business Site: ResiliencyforLife

His upcoming book The Gift is due out late winter 2016.

His audio programming can be found on iTunes at:







No comments: